Publications and Awards
Patricia writes both fiction and creative nonfiction, and her work has been published in journals featuring both genres. She also writes book reviews.
She has had thirty short stories published in national and international literary journals, including The Alaska Quarterly Review, The Litchfield Review, Left Curve, Scribble, The Potomac Review, Fiction, Kentucky Review, The Dalhousie Review as well as others. Her work as been included in anthologies that also featured stories by such writers as Alice McDermott and Annie Proulx. In 2015,Washington Writers' Publishing House awarded its prize for fiction and published Patricia's story collection titled St. Bart's Way. Previously St. Bart's Way had been named a finalist for the Flannery O'Connor and Snake Nation awards.
Patricia has been a regular contributor to the op-ed pages of The Baltimore Sun for 50 years. Her essays also have been published by The Washington Post, The Chattahoochee Review, Troika, Muse and Stone, Under the Sun, Memoirs Ink, Winning Writers, Bluestem, and Spank the Carp. In 2018, her memoir A Balanced Life was published by All Things That Matter Press.
Awards and Honors
- 2020 Finalist, Novel Slices Award for The Bones of Two
- 2020 Finalist, fiction Wild Woman Review, Tulip Tree Press
- 2019 Finalist, fiction New Millennium Writings
- 2018 Quarter-finalist, Screencraft Competition for unpublished novel
- 2016, Finalist, flash fiction New Millennium Writings
- 2016 Finalist, story collection Willow Springs Editions
- 2015 Finalist Dana Award for short fiction
- 2015 Winner, fiction Washington Writers Publishing House
- 2015 Finalist, story collection Willow Springs Editions
- 2014 Finalist, for Tobial Wolff Fiction Award from the Bellingham Review
- 2014 Fellow, the Virginia Center for the Creative Arts
- 2013 Winner, sports essay, Winning Writers
- 2011 Third–place award, memoir, Memoirs Ink
- 2010 Third-place award, nonfiction, Soul-Making Literary Competition,
- 2008. Finalist, The Flannery O'Connor Award for fiction
- 2008 Finalist, Snake Nation Press Award for fiction
- 2006 Award recipient for fiction, the Fitzgerald Literary Conference
Elected member, The National Book Critics Circle
Elected member, The Authors' Guild
Patricia reads from her award-winning essay "Anonymous Told Me So" at the Soul-Making Award ceremony.
"What the World Needs Now," a brief essay about widowhood and ducks.
"Pitiful": a story about the restoration of a house and two lost souls. "Pitiful" originally was published in the Alaska Quarterly Review.
"The Other Betty" was originally published in the Bryant Literary Review and is included in Patrricia's award-winning collection of stories titled St. Bart's Way.
"Downward Drifting," published in Fiction in 2008, explores the impact of war over the decades of an ordinary housewife's life.
"The Counter-Mince Move," a Christmas story about memory and sedition, was published in Edify.
"Keeping Cool and With Each Other" was published on the op-ed page of The Baltimore Sun on July 22, 2019.